International Students

We are able to help our international students get their wings regardless of their flight status outside of the United States.

There are multiple different options available to you to obtain your training in the United States; the most common are both F-1 and M-1 visas.

  • M1 Visa will allow you to be trained for getting Pilot License or additional ratings at any of the approved Courses in our School. When you achieve your goal and complete your training you shall be ready to get back to your home country.
  • Students wishing to bring family over during their program, the family must be on the appropriate M-2 or F-2 Visa. In that case please contact the school to get a specific instruction.
  • F1 Visa program is for aspiring International Students who wish to enroll in our Full Professional Pilot Programs. Which includes Private and Commercial Pilot Course followed with Certified Flight Instructor course and ratings. The total Program takes 12-18 months for completion. General Education requirements and previous flight training can be assessed for transfer credits by applying to the admission for determination. The last stages of your Program contain a practical training component. Upon the successful completion of CFI Course and getting rated you may apply to get a practice as Flight Instructors. After getting your Diploma School can recommend you to post-graduation OPT (Optional Practical Training), to help build your time to 1500 hours to Airline Transportation Pilot Rating. Our graduates, who decide and are selected to stay with us as Flight Instructors typically built 70 to 100 instructing hours a month.
  • Degree seeking students may also enroll in the College Programs with the participating Aviation Colleges or Universities. In such case after the graduation from our Professional Pilot program up to 40 credits will be transferred towards their relevant Associated or Bachelor Degree.

How to Get Started (For International Students)

First, complete our online application. This will get our admissions officers in a position to help you through the next steps.

Next, you’ll need to send the following items to us.

  • Non-refundable application enrollment/processing fee of $500 via wire transfer, credit card, money order, or cashier’s check made payable to Pelican Flight Training L.L.C.
  • Bank statement copy confirming the necessary funds to finance your training and living expenses during your stay in the United States. (Take the original to the US Embassy for your VISA appointment.) If you have a sponsor supporting your training you will need to present letter of support from your sponsor.
  • A copy of the photo page of your current passport.
  • In order to determine your English language fluency, we require an English copy of your education records and you CV.
  • To show that you are ready to succeed in academic curriculum Student should provide proof of graduating from U.S. High School or its equivalent . If at the time of your arriving you will not be able to present the certified equivalence of your high-school educational diplomas, the school will need do get it for you, the cost of validation in such case will be 250$.
  • If you possess a pilot’s license, send us a copy plus the latest page in your logbook listing up-to-date flight time.

After receipt of all information at Pelican Flight Training, School will send you to sign the Enrollment Agreement and then we will send you an original signed Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status (I-20), which will allow you to schedule an appointment with the US Embassy in your home country so they may issue you a non-immigrant student VISA.

Your Visa Appointment

  1. When you have your I-20 SEVIS ID# (at the top right on your I-20 Form), you may start plan an appointment for your visa interview. Keep in mind, that at the date of interview you should have your original I-20 with you.
  2. Pay you SEVIS fee following up the instructions on
  3. Pay the visa application fee by following instructions on
  4. Complete the form DS-160 Online Be sure to write down your application ID number, you may need it if the application process will be done not for the one time and you may need additional time complete and submit it.
    1. Length of stay in the U.S.: as per your Enrolment Agreement.
    2. Address in U.S.: Pelican Flight Training, 1601 SW 75th Ave Pembroke Pines, FL 33023 USA.
  5. After you have the receipt number for your visa application fee and the submitted number for your DS-160, you may schedule the appointment/interview date with the US Embassy.
  6. Prepare and bring the following to your visa interview
    • A passport valid for at least six months after your intended departure from the U.S.
    • Form I-20 (sign the form on Page 1, Student or Sponsor’s line at the bottom)
    • School admission letter or/and Signed Enrollment Agreement.
    • DS-160 Online bar code page
    • One 2”x 2” photograph
    • Receipt for the visa application fee
    • Receipt for the SEVIS fee, original or printed from your computer.
    • Financial evidence showing you have sufficient funds to cover your training and living expenses during your intended study period.
    • Information proving that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the United States which may include proof of property, family or other ties to your community.
  7. Once you have your visa, be sure to verify that you received the correct personal and school information on your Visa, including the correct spell of your name. If you did not, contact the embassy where you had your visa interview to have it corrected.

TSA registration

The next step you will need to do

When you have signed enrollment Agreement and I-20 from the school, you may start the registration with the TSA.

The TSA Foreign Flight Training Rule requires that all non-US citizens (including those with a green card) planning to do any kind of flight training in any type of aircraft (airplane/helicopter/flight simulator) that could be used towards their initial FAA certificate (private/commercial, etc), Instrument Rating or Multi-Engine Rating complete the process outlined below. The information you give will be used to do a background check. This process cannot begin until six months or less before you will start training.

(a) Register with TSA at

  • You must have your passport information to register.
  • You will be issued a user ID and setup a password for the TSA website which you should keep for use for all of your additional training taken in the future in USA.

(b) Enter your personal information and training into the TSA website. This is the information you will need to have ready:

  • Full name, including any aliases or variations in spelling; use only English letters, do not use special characters
  • Identifying information such as height, weight, hair and eye color
  • Country of birth, current country or countries of citizenship and each previous country of citizenship
  • Starting and ending dates of each citizenship
  • Current pilot certificate(s) and certificate number(s), if any
  • Passport and U.S. visa information, including all current and previous passports and U.S. visas held. The .pdf of your passport information page and the visas should be available to be uploaded to the site as the separate entries.
  • Current address and telephone number, as well as each address held for longer than 30 days for the five years prior to the date of the application. Also be ready to provide the U.S. address where you will stay during your training.
  • Employment history, including employer contact information
  • Training information – TSA requires candidates to register for training toward their initial FAA certificate, Instrument Rating and Multi-Engine Rating (airplane students only). You must register for the course that is closest to your training goal.
Course IDCourse ID, Class(Aircraft Type)
Airplane Courses    
Private Pilot/ any Initial FAA Certificate 001 Initial license C152, C172, PA28
Instrument Rating 002 Instrument Rating C172, PA28
Multi-Engine Rating 003 Multi-Engine Rating PA44
Helicopter courses    
Private Pilot/ any Initial FAA Certificate 001 Initial license Schweizer 300c
Instrument Rating 002 Instrument Rating Schweizer 300c

(c) Dates of flight training (this can be a reasonable estimate) and cannot start earlier than the date of your application.

(d) Remember that after you add All the previous steps you SHOULD SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION.

(e) Check your e-mail frequently for any messages from the TSA. If something is missing or incorrect on your application, the process does not continue.

(f) Once Pelican Flight training has validated your training request, the TSA directs you to pay a $130.00 USD fee which covers the cost of the background/security check.

(g) After the TSA receives all of the above information, you and Pelican Flight training are notified that your documentation has been accepted and we can send you the necessary paperwork to get your visa. The e-mail from the TSA gives you approval to have your fingerprints taken (see next step).

(h) You must have your fingerprints taken at a TSA-approved location. DO not forget to follow the instruction and make a payment for fingerprints before you will make them done. To make a payment start from the page , and do not forget to bring with you to the appointment your passport and NATA-CS Custody and Control form confirming your payment. This needs to be done only one time, regardless of the number of times you enter the U.S. for training (as long as you use the same account each time).

(i) Upon arrival the school, School Admission personal must take your picture and submit it to the TSA.

(j) TSA notifies you and Pelican Flight training of flight approval once your application is complete, including your fingerprints. You can then begin flight training. If the background check determines you are a risk, flight training must stop immediately.

For Pilots With a Foreign License

If you already have a foreign license and would like to obtain a U.S. pilot certificate or rating, you must first request a Verification of Authenticity to the FAA’s Airmen Certification Branch (AFS-760) . All instructions concerning this pre-application may be found on the FAA’s web site at

This process takes usually two to three weeks. For additional school information for the forms please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Information you will need for the forms:

Section 2 please have your verification letter mailed to:
1601 SW 75th Ave,
Pembroke Pines FL 33023

Section 10 ensure you verify ALL your applicable ratings, night qualification, and medicals.

Section 11 Our nearest FSDO address is:
2895 SW 145th Ave,
Miramar, FL 33027

Enclose copies of your licenses, including ratings page, and medicals, and either fax to +1 (405) 954-9922 or mail to the:

Federal Aviation Administration
Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082 USA
(405) 954-3261 (Phone)
(405) 954-9922 (Fax)

(Ensure correct postage used - get it weighed at the post office. Shipment tracking is recommended)

Once the Airmen’s Certification branch has verified the authenticity and the validity of the foreign pilot license and medical license with the foreign civil aviation authority, a verification of authenticity letter will be issued to the designated Flight Standard District Office and a copy sent to the applicant.

Additionally, holders of CAA licenses issued by the United Kingdom need to submit an additional form to the CAA. You can download the required form from their website.

Upon arrival in the United States our Training Department will guide you through the application process. You will then meet with the local FAA Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE), whom you will show your foreign licenses, medicals, and passport along with your verification letter. This process currently costs $250.

You will be issued a temporary airman certificate, which will later be replaced by a FAA Privat Pilot Certificate based on your foreign license. This certificate will not be valid until a bi-annual flight review has been conducted as part of your check out before flying solo.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT the EXPIRATION DATE of this issued license will be the same as your foreign license expiration date!!

Once the FAA has proven your license’s authenticity, you’ll be ready to move onto the next step, which will occur once you’ve arrived in the United States (to keep the process moving smoothly, please contact your admissions officer at least two weeks before you arrive).

We will guide you through the process of meeting with a Designated Pilot Examiner to go over all of your paperwork such as your foreign license, medical records, passport, in addition to your verification letter. Once this is completed, you will be able to begin your training course to obtain your FAA certification.

If you have any concerns with this process, contact us.

Pelican Flight Training is an equal opportunity institution committed to offering a diverse learning environment for its students, instructors, and staff.

Before Arriving to the school

  1. Inform your school contact on the day of your arrival as soon as you will have your airline ticket issued. Inform also if you will need help with accommodation and transportation from the airport.
  2. Please be ready to have the originals of the following documents during your first day at the school upon arrival:
    1. Passport with Visa
    2. The certified equivalence of your high-school educational diplomas. If you don’t have it please be ready to make a payment of 250$ to get this document with the school assistance.
    3. FAA Medical Certificate. If you do not have it, or it is expired, ask school admission personal schedule for you the appointment with the doctor’s office to get one.
    4. All of your flight licenses (foreign and FAA) and your pilot log-book.
    5. Your latest TSA communication e-mail from AFSP. If you have not started your TSA approval process, ask the school admission personnel for the assistance.
  3. Be ready to make a first payment as per your enrollment agreement.

Medical Insurance

As the international student, during your studies in USA you are expected to have a relevant medical insurance protection. You may get more information and advises on this matter here.

If you will not have medical insurance covering your stay in USA, please contact our admission personnel and they will help you and your dependents to apply for the insurance. Please be aware that by the school requirements you should have medical insurance all the time of your studies with us.


Pelican students life

Request More Information

We will be happy to personally assist you in making decision for your future airline career by providing you with all the information you might need and providing answers to all of your questions. Please complete the form, and we will be in touch with you soon.

Application Form
Personal information
Additional information
Marital Status
Can you read, speak and understand English?
Do You Hold an FAA Pilot Certificate ?
Do You Hold an FAA Medical Certificate ?
When Would You Like to Start Training?
Choose the courses
  • Other
  • Other
YOUR Flight experience
Are they FAA?
Previous Flight Experience
Total PIC Solo
Cross Country
Single Engine
Multi Engine
Dual Given
Total flight hours
Upload documents
Copy of Passport
Add photos from your computer or drag them to this area
High School Diploma or higher level of education
Add photos from your computer or drag them to this area
Resume in English
Add photos from your computer or drag them to this area
Copy of your last page of the logbook
Add photos from your computer or drag them to this area
Proof of funds which indicates you have sufficient money to pay for all of your training and living expenses while in the United States.
Add photos from your computer or drag them to this area